Friday, May 05, 2006
It was hokey, it was contrived, and I already knew the ending...
...but I have to confess that Akeelah and the Bee was one of the best (and certainly most family friendly) movies that I've seen in the last year. (Apologies to my beloved Pride and Prejudice, but this one actually held my 10 y/o dd's attention!).

How could you not love any medium that celebrates words? The vocabulary lesson alone (not to mention the shameless plug for Latin) was worth the admission price.

I also loved the fact that Akeelah, while she felt alienated from her surroundings) was not a "nerd"...she learns to embrace her intelligence without losing herself (or her neighborhood friends). My oldest dd (a bit of a "word nerd" herself--Did I mention that she placed fifth in our regional spelling bee?) needs to see more messages along that vein.


Sadly enough, at 10 (and grade skipped), she is already facing tremendous social pressure to "dumb herself down". Some of this pressure comes from older children who perceive her as an academic threat. Worse, however, are the well-intentioned comments from adults, aimed at encouraging her, that only serve to highlight her struggle to "fit in".

The theme of the movie can be summed up in this quote, framed on the wall of Akeelah's spelling bee coach:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous. Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us -- it's in everyone.And as we let our own light shine,we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear,our presence automatically liberates others.
-Marianne Williamson
Maybe that alone was worth the price of admission to the movie. It's the message I'm glad to have the media feed my brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous woman-child.

  posted at 10:40 AM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 1:34 PM, Blogger razorbackmama said...

Oh I have so been there done that!!! In the 6th-7th grades (already grade-skipped LOL) I made B's on purpose so that I wouldn't be considered even more of a nerd than I already was. *sigh*

Fortunately after that we switched schools, where it was "cool" to be smart. :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Wordless Wednesday
Take my life and let it be, Consecrated Lord to Th...
Having a rough week...
Wordless Wednesday
I still owe my s-i-l a tag...
I just booked a new client!
Wordless Wednesday
Overheard this week....
Evidence of my Easter Mania...or touches of domest...
I tend to have a little problem with anger.I suppo...

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: