Thursday, May 08, 2008
In Which My Own Words Come Back, Not so much to haunt me as to kick me in the rear
My experience has been that the Lord rarely truly blindsides me. There's always a gift...something that prepares me.

When I lost my dad, I had the gift of a weekend with him just days before. During that weekend we took the time to heal some past hurts. The gift was that the last words I said to him alive were "I love you".

When we wanted a fourth child and every door seemed to close, our gift was our longing for "just one more". It sustained us through loss, through a horrible pregnancy, a long first year of reflux and colic, and all of the fights to figure out what was making my Little Guy tick out of sync.

In the months before my diagnosis, my husband and I had time to build our relationship during our Weekend to Remember and a glorious family vacation in Tahoe. Pictures of those days of calm before the storm are hung on our dining room wall, along with the word "Believe" and a favorite Bible verse. They hung daily before our eyes during the long days of treatment and healing.

When I went back to Phoenix in February, I had the opportunity to meet with friends from CBS. One of my favorite ladies ever, Trudy, blessed me with the most amazing compliment. "You know," said this woman who lived through infertility and the loss of her beloved Paul to Alzheimer's with tremendous grace, "I still think of a devotional you once gave at a leader's council meeting".

She reminded me of the time I shared about my apprenticeship in a floral department during high school. How sometimes to force flowers to bloom, we had to put them in hot water. Probably not too much fun if you're the flower, but the end results are beautiful.

God does the same thing, but he speaks in Psalms about refining us as silver in the furnace of affliction. (See Psalm 66)

I've tried to tell myself for weeks that I have writer's block...but that's not the truth.

The truth is that despite a clear check up last month (Hallelujah!), our storm isn't quite over...seems we were just resting in its eye.

Or, to hopelessly scramble my metaphors, we're being refined. By fire. To be specific, two days after my clear check up, my husband was dismissed from the job we moved here for, gave up dear friends and community for, sacrificed our savings for. Without a severance package or even a lovely parting gift (oops, did that sound bitter?).

It's not a pretty thing. When silver is heated, all the dross floats to the top and is skimmed off. Apparently, I still had a lot of dross...because I was not "blooming beautifully" during this latest trial. And when all is said and done, this is a public blog. One that my beautiful daughter reads. Some "dross" needs to stay a bit less public. It's bad enough that God, my husband, and occasionally my best friend have to deal with it.

So, back to my, gift. First Trudy reminded me of what trials really are. Then there was a season of pretty incredible sermons at church.

And then this.

Ouch.

Wow.

Thanks, Sally. I needed that.

  posted at 8:32 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Mary Jo said...

Been missing you on here. :) Wondering how you were. Just read Sally's post too. Beautifully said.

I totally understand where you are at. Shan was 'laid off' when i was 36 weeks pregnant with Zoe - no severance, no anything - and it was Christmas.

But keep the faith Heather! Decree and declare your victory through God! He does it! Shan's job was restored DOUBLE the salary, benefits, etc.

God can do it for you too! I know it! You're in my prayers. I'm believing for you!

Let it be done, Father! Heather's husband will receive double what he had - better than what he had - You can do all things Abba! Bring it to pass God. I believe with my friend. Amen!

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger razorbackmama said...

{{{Heather}}}

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger squirrelgirl said...

Glad to see you back and dealing with "dross" as pragmatically as ever. My life has recently handed me some challenges as well (though not nearly what you've had on your plate) but hopefully next month Miss K and I can head your way for a coffee break. {{{hugs}}}

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Eutychus said...

So good to read your comments, I follow often.
Blessings
Milt

 
At 9:11 PM, Blogger Carla said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's job! I am glad to read about the clear check, though. I will be praying for you!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I check in often. What a PRAISE report --- clear check up !!! KUDOs to the Master Healer. I'm sorry to hear about the job loss. Even thru the "fire" I am always encouraged by your words and "grace" Faith...Blind Faith... We will be praying here in AZ for ya'all...

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

The words were yours, the inspiration came directly from God, I merely held the pen (or the keyboard as the case may be!)

Your "grace" full-ness is my inspiration!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Want to know what to do for someone with cancer?
Not a bad way to start Spring Break
Birthday Thank Yous
Happy Birthday
The sunburns were so worth it
How to lie with statistics
Thought for the Day
The Braces are OFF!
And let's not forget the Florida Strikers.
Who are we?

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: