Wednesday, July 27, 2005
One of my favorite "back to school" memories from growing up was the newness embodied by boxes of perfect, unmarred crayons, freshly sharpened pencils (with no bite marks...another bad habit to add to my "tag" list), and clean, blank notebooks. The whole school year stretched ahead of me full of potential. I loved going back to school.

Turns out that my kids loved going back to school as well. They had a wonderful time yesterday, despite one negative experience on my son's part, which, fortunately was not his fault. I enjoyed all of their chatter yesterday on the way home and throughout the evening as they told me of all of the fun things ahead this academic year.

As for me, I didn't have too much time to think about what lay ahead for the baby and I, because I was scheduled to work, then ran to take kids to piano and out to dinner. Factor in catching up with them and wading through the paper jungle that the school sent home , and I more or less fell into bed last night!

Today, however, the new year stretches out ahead of me, a new season (evidently, great minds think alike, Sooz !) has begun.

For once, I'd like to think that I've taken some of my life lessons to heart and started with all of my supplies fresh and full of potential.

Today, instead of jumping into volunteering, projects or exercise, I decided to be really nice to myself. I decided that the grocery shopping could wait another day, that breakfast with a friend and more pleasurable errands (new holds at the library!!) would allow me to best launch my new school year.

It was (as I would tell my kiddos) a wise choice. The baby was an angel, and I, instead of feeling lonely, or like I had to prove something by what got accomplished today, feel relaxed and excited by all of the opportunities stretching out in front of me this year. And, just as the kids are "settling in" in their classes this week with the heavy academics to start next week, the baby and I are enjoying our settling in time as well.

I might even go buy myself a new box of crayons to celebrate.

  posted at 2:55 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 2:04 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

I'm jealous! And I'm SO SORRY about the "negative experience"...It's going to take me years of therapy to get over that one! {{sigh}}

Enjoy that little baby...the time is SO SHORT!!

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great day!!!

With school all year, how do you know when to send your kids (if they've not gone before) for the start of a year? I don't think that made much sense.

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Heather said...

It's a charter school and is a school of choice, so you have to check it out and get tested before entering.

I had a heads up because my best friend is my son's forth grade teacher.

 
At 3:36 AM, Blogger kt said...

I thought I was the ONLY one who got excited over new school supplies! ;)

Oldest does not share that same enthusiasm! LOL

So far ds #2, set to begin K this fall, I think does! lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Wow!
Tagged AGAIN...
Making a difference
Happiness in Pink and Purple...
In a bid to beat the heat (did I mention our air c...
Rainbows
One of the things on my "to do" list yesterday tha...
I'm not sure if I'm processing this week, if I'm s...
Mirror, mirror, on the wall...
Maybe I AM the crunchy-granola type...me, the slin...

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: