Wednesday, July 13, 2005
Rainbows
Both of my girls have gone through (well, Hannah is still in it) a phase where they are obsessed with rainbows. Colorful crayoned arcs decorate pictures, cards and banners that decorate my house and are bestowed on lucky friends and neighbors. Coloring book creatures eschew the tame colors nature has gifted them with in favor of more vivid (multiple) hues. ("Look Mom, I drew a rainbow pig!").

As a collector of Noah's Ark "stuff", I love rainbows, too. They remind me of the promise of God's love. They remind me of his care for his people before, during, and after the earth was ravaged by the floods.

It's been storming at my house. Not literally (too bad, because it's 118 at my house right now), but emotionally. After an exhausting, HOT, "touched out" (you'll understand this if you've nursed and had other kiddos around) day, I received a late evening phone call that resulted in my running to the neighbors to (by God's grace) provide some counsel in a horrifying life-and-death situation.

I know God is in control, but the night was not a pleasant one. Storms of doubt, storms of sadness, wondering if I said enough, if I loved enough, if I emptied myself out and let Christ minister through me. I woke up more tired than I lay down.

The morning wasn't too much better--I dragged through errands with my children, fighting off tears at each frustration, fighting off the sense of grief at all of the pain I had witnessed the night before, fighting off the urge to blow off a playdate with some women from church whom I didn't really know that would require a 45 minute drive to get there. The storm continued to rage around me.

The the Lord began to send rainbows.

The baby didn't cry at all on the drive there (this isn't just a rainbow, folks, this is a miracle!). A friend called my cell phone and told me how impressed she had been to pray for me the previous night.

I sat and began to form friendships with these women who love the Lord. We munched on "rainbow" M&M cookies that my older children had made to share with their friends. My spirit was nurtured and my heart was refreshed. It was still loud (there were 15 children there), still hot, and I was still reeling from the storm, but my heart was lightened.

The baby didn't cry on the way home, despite a traffic jam, the older kids didn't quarrel (maybe they were too hot!)

On arriving home, I changed my sweaty baby into fresh clothes. He looked up a me and began to laugh. Not a giggle, but a full and beautiful belly laugh. I began to laugh with him, and as I laughed the storm broke inside of me and tears poured down my face as I laughed and cried and allowed myself to be encircled by the rainbow of God's promised care for not just me, but those I was so burdened for.

Thank you, Father for coloring my day "rainbow". Help me to look for the rainbows you set before me to remind me of your love and perfect provision. Thank you for being there in every storm.

  posted at 6:12 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 12:37 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

I'm glad God threw you some rainbows today!

Love you!
Sally

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
One of the things on my "to do" list yesterday tha...
I'm not sure if I'm processing this week, if I'm s...
Mirror, mirror, on the wall...
Maybe I AM the crunchy-granola type...me, the slin...
Typecasting
I love working in the yard...
If you don't have sisters...
Mom is so proud...this one's for the Christmas card! 
The Michaelis girls...June 24,2005 
Tagged....

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: