Saturday, January 07, 2006
Selfish?
Random musing this week...

A popular author in the Christian homeschool community has recently published a series of articles in her family ministry's newsletter asserting that the "me" time for mommies is actually just a manifestation of cultural self-centeredness.

I understand that I'm oversimplifying her point of view here, but contrary to being convicted (especially considering my hiring a babysitter yesterday so I could go for a hike!) , my thought upon reading them was, "Great, one more thing for Christian women to feel guilty about".

I understand that what the Lord lays out for us to undertake, He will provide the strength for us to accomplish (provided we're operating in His grace and not trying to forge ahead in our own strength). However, I know in my own life, I've been consistently guilty of loving my neighbor better than myself.

I wouldn't hesitate to babysit a friend's children for a few hours so that she could take some "Mommy R&R", be it for a date night with her dh, a pedicure, or simply a nap. I'm not advocating that we spend our days pampering ourselves while our houses and families fall into neglect; but I also refuse to take on a sense of false guilt if I choose to leave my husband to cheer at the kids' soccer games while I meet my gal pals for a Pilates class and some mutual encouragement over coffee and bagels. While I may not "deserve" or "need" this "me" time, it certainly makes me a more cheerful wife and mother in the long run.

Obviously there are seasons where "me" time is less of an option. (For me, this has been the majority of the last year). But in that crunched season, the Lord also taught me to allow others to bless me with their offers of meals, babysitting, etc...support that I largely credit with keeping me from suffering a deep post-partum depression.

Maybe it all lies in our attitude. If I don't get time away and it causes me to be grumpy and irritable, playing "Mommy Martyr", obviously I've got an issue. But I have a hard time thinking that it's more spiritual to never take a momentary step back from our roles as wives and mothers to remember that we're also created beings that thrive on things like exercise, fellowship, and encouragement.

  posted at 1:43 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 2:20 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Heather: I think you have some very good points here. I can't help but think that in Biblical times when things were more communal and family was closer that there would have been those blessed moments of reprieve for which we often find ourselves hungering.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger Amy L. Roland said...

Thank you, Friend. I have struggled with this very thing, and you made it all clear for me.
:>)

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,
For me to have time with a dear friend over lunch makes me a better wife and mom. I'm thankful for a husband who encourages me to get out and fellowship with other women!
Julie D.

 
At 2:10 AM, Blogger kt said...

me time? what's that? lol :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Some days good things just fall into your lap, and...
Love the quote
Reflections on the Past Year
Ok, I thought this was a hoot...
How Does one get the smell of frying oil out of th...
All dressed up for Christmas Eve service. 
My "Christmas" cards for this year have turned int...
Wow...long time no blog. I'm hoping that's because...
I am in awe of the pioneer women who left everythi...
Postcards from the edge

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: