Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Beautiful
Last night, with the older children at soccer and the younger ones safely at Camp Grandparents, I took a break from my manic baking efforts (I'm helping a friend with her son's rehearsal dinner this Friday) to grab a quiet dinner with my husband.

As we enjoyed our sushi and contemplated the latest in our world gone mad (what to do about the unsold house in Phoenix, the ever-present school decision, my grandparents' latest round of bad behavior, our ten hour road trip the next day) a woman leaving the restaurant stopped and touched me on the shoulder.

"Excuse me. I just wanted to tell you that you look absolutely beautiful."

"Um, thank you", I stammered, taking a mental inventory of my buzz cut, the loose, sloppy clothing I had worn for an MRI that day, and the hasty dabs of makeup thrown on when I realized, yes, my husband and I were really going out. On a date.

Maybe she was a fellow survivor. Maybe she was just being nice. Maybe she was following the gentle prodding of the Holy Spirit. In any case, I was thankful for her kindness, and admiring of her courage to speak up.

I'm not too sure that I'm beautiful (at least by the standards of the world)...and I've never been good at accepting compliments. But in that one moment I was--and so was she.

  posted at 8:35 AM  
  9 comments



9 Comments:
At 12:16 PM, Blogger squirrelgirl said...

Awesome. Of course, people who know you think you're beautiful but it's nice to hear it from an unbiased observer, isn't it?

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Justabeachkat said...

Loved this post. What a nice compliment. And I'm sure you did look beautiful. (I still think you look like Mia. I always liked her look.) I'm sure she also saw your beauty from within shining through. I'm so glad you were able to have a fun night out.

Hugs!
Kat

 
At 12:20 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

You are one of the most beautiful women I have ever met, on both the inside and out. You carry off a short "do" better than anyone I know, so I imagine you look fantastic with your buzz cut. I miss you, sweetie, and I miss seeing your beautiful face!!

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger Mary Jo said...

Those moments are so awesome.
And you are beautiful - inside and out!

 
At 7:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to assure you that I continue to pray for the sale of your house here in Phoenix everytime drive by the 35th Ave exit on the Loop 101. Yes, I pray for yours and 3 others who also are seeking for God's buyer in God's time. Thank you for trusting the Lord. It makes such a difference in a person's life. It etches peace and joy onto a person's face...and that is beautiful and that is noticeable.

Pastor Bill

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger pig2let said...

Heather, I don't know if you got my email or not as my computer was acting crazy. Anyway I didn't try to come by because Dougie had a cold and was exposed to chicken pox! I didn't want to risk your getting sick with your still fragile immune system. Love you lots and sorry I missed you.

 
At 10:16 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather,
You are completely beautiful inside and out. I will never be able to thank you well enough from this weekend. You are a treasure. Your man is too :-)

Love,
Laurie

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Justabeachkat said...

Hi

Miss you blogging. Hope all is well.

Hugs!
Kat

 
At 1:06 AM, Blogger kt said...

Nice people are GREAT!!! :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Well, DUH....
Happiness Is...
A Meme to Drool Over
Thank you
Want to make a difference?
For my sister, who loves to tease me and tell me, ...
Check this out...
Happy Fourth of July!
The buzz...a Self Portrait!
Huh?!?

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: