Tuesday, October 16, 2007
Warning: Vitriol Ahead. Proceed at Your Own Risk
My normal practice is to heavily censor myself on this blog. In that spirit, this post may disappear later today as I think better of it.

My sister called me the other day bubbling over about a family wedding she attended in Ohio this weekend. Originally, I had wanted to make this wedding with my family, but a few things kept us from going:

1. It was the day after my daughter's birthday, and I wanted her to be able to celebrate with friends.

2.It was one of our more soccer-intensive weekends (ha! They're actually all soccer intensive, but competitive teams mean higher levels of commitment).

3. I crunched the numbers. Plane fare for 6 to Cincinnati, rental car, hotel for a few days (no one offered to put all of us up, wonder why??), food, fall dress clothes for the wedding....we were looking at well over $3000 for a long weekend. That is just NOT happening with our finances right now, especially with the Phoenix real estate market still being so awful (read: we have multiple mortgages right now).

Anyway, the gist of the wedding wrap up had to do with how many people asked about me, how "everyone" just "wanted to see me and know I was okay", how "everyone wanted to hug my neck", and how I should probably get on the stick and write a Thanksgiving or very early Christmas letter to let "everyone" know I was still alive and kicking.

All I could think was, I am SO glad that I didn't go to this wedding.

1. I am the oldest of 14 cousins. Of said cousins (plus aunts and uncles), ONE cousin wrote me a note during my treatment, and one cousin's wife consistently sent letters/cards of encouragement. One aunt and uncle chose to acknowledge what was going on and help us. Honestly, "thinking about" someone going through something so massive really doesn't cut it.

2. This day was about the BRIDE, not about Heather. I can do without that kind of attention, as I'm barely getting beyond my own healthy dose of denial and processing what has happened to me in the past year and how close I came to dying on several occasions.

3. Every day past the end of chemo I realize something that has returned--I can sing again (I was too weak for my voice to carry before), my real laugh and smile is back, I ran the other day. Now is my season to celebrate, not rehash, so I'm pretty darn picky about who I talk about my cancer with these days. If you weren't "there" going through it with me, it's probably not you right now, sorry.

So my point (and I do have one) is this. No one ever felt better at a funeral because they spent time "thinking about" or (sorry Brothers and Sisters in Christ) "praying for" someone.

Actions speak. Not words.

It's Breast Cancer Awareness Month (It should just be Cancer Awareness Month, but that's another rant for another day).

Be aware.

Is someone you care about going through something? Don't wait to be invited...look for the opening and take it.

Make the call.

Visit the hospital.

Deliver the meal.

Write the card, note or email.

Honor them with a donation--The Komen Races are this month and Race for the Cure is coming up as well. (You can support me on my one-year anniversary of diagnosis here).

Finally, a thousand thank yous to those of you who did chose to be there. You know who you are, and you are precious to me.

  posted at 12:49 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Especially Heather said...

Amen and High Five! As someone who is going through "treatment" and also suffers from an "orphan cancer" I can tell you that you hit the nail on the head....

in so very many ways...

I dread going to weddings and bridal showers because of everything that you mentioned :)

chin up grasshopper, you are not alone
-H

 
At 12:52 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

I SO wish I could have been there, really there, not on the phone there, not in the rare (I know I have pen adversion disease because my brain goes faster than that damn pen) written out card...but there, holding your hand, cleaning up the puke there. I am SO sorry that I couldn't be because I love you more than words my friend and I hope you know that...I know you know that...I really really miss you!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Sunday Smiles
Friday: The Birthday Bash
More party photos
Thursday "Thir-TWEEN"
Wordless Wednesday: Sesame Street Live!
What a lovely thing to get on an otherwise icky day
One year later
Flotsam and Jetsam
No, he didn't really need a nap...just ask him.
Photo Friday: Redecorating Redeaux

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: