Thursday, August 14, 2008
Where are that child's parents, and what ARE they thinking??
Preschool starts in less than a week.

This is completely uncharted territory for us. We've never sent a child to preschool. It's only two mornings a week, and I know he's going to have a blast, but new things--positive or negative--are always a bit trepidatious for me.

One of the things I've been working on with the little guy in preparation for the school transition is becoming more independent in his toileting. We were in Chick"aFay" for story hour the other day and were going through the routine: potty, adjust clothes independently, wash hands, "Hooray! That's how big boys who go to school do it!".

Miss Carolyn, one of the hostesses, was tidying up the bathroom, and was sweet enough to take the time to praise him for completing his routine (She's a retired preschool teacher!) and even gave him a card for some free chicken to snack on before story hour. So far, a good start on his skills for the day.

Fast forward past story hour (books, action songs, and craft), and a nugget lunch with his siblings and buddy. He's in the play land when I hear, "I NEED the baffroom!" and see a streak running past me.

I just caught him before he dashed into the men's room, redirected him to the ladies, and supervised the errand. MY hands weren't washed before he had dashed back to the beloved play land. Maybe a little too independent there, but it had been a busy morning, and I was willing to let it go.

I came out, checked the playground to see that all was well, and went back to my salad (no french fries, Beck!) and conversation. I must have been a little too absorbed in showing my friend the book proofs, because I glanced up to see my son, naked from the waist down, running towards me.

When he saw me, he turned around and repeated the Pooh Bear run back to the ladies' room. The good thing about fourth child grace (or spending the previous week on a very European beach?) is that I was laughing too hard to be appalled at my son's public nudity. Thankfully, most of the people there were laughing pretty hard, too. I thought one older man was going to hurt himself, he was so amused.

Turns out that the little guy hadn't quite finished the job the first time and had dashed out of the play land to heed the call a bit too late. He had taken himself potty and even washed his hands, but didn't want to put his Cars undies back on in the state they were in. So, he decided to come and check with Mom to see what he should do. Not a bad chain of decision making, when you think about it.

However, we should probably work on the streaking thing...at least before he's off to kindergarten in a few years.


Lord, there are days when I feel like I can't BE thankful enough for the gifts of grace, time, and humor. Thank you for people who extend grace instead of taking up offense, for little people who make us laugh, and for the maturity afforded by time that allows us to laugh hardest at ourselves. I'm so grateful that I'm NOT called to be independent from You, but dependent. Otherwise, I'd just be walking around naked all the time...and it wouldn't be cute or humorous!

  posted at 7:17 AM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Baba said...

Hi Heather, This is such a cute story about your son...kids can be amazing people...My 2 year old granddaughter Lily uses too much paper when she goes to the potty and has stopped it up a few times..we are teaching her to make little folds with the paper and she is doing better with wiping herself now....thanks for sharing with us. Hugs, Baba

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger kt said...

Too cute...& totally LOL funny! ;-)

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For the record, his father never did that.

LOL

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Another clean scan...
Some Photos from Mexico
Me? Guilty about going on vacation and leaving my ...
With permission from my pastor
More about what I want to do when I grow up
Strap yourselves in...it's going to be a LONG post
Just alert enough to really process today's sermon...
The worst kept secret ever...
Tagged
A belated Happy Fourth of July

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: