Wednesday, June 22, 2005
Tagged....
My friend Kirstin (www.razorbackmama.blogspot.com), forgetting that I am a worse techno-dork than I am a fashion dork, tagged me with the question: "Name five things you miss from childhood".

It gave me a pause. I've been told that I'm an encouraging person, but I think that my tendency is to be more negative. When I think childhood, I think of the negatives (my parents' divorce, my perpetual "new kid" status at whatever school we were at that year, my lovely thick plastic glasses and stand-out short red hair in a sea of long blonde and brown locks...). So this is an exercise for my benefit (and as with most things beneficial--healthy eating, exercise, spiritual growth--ICK)--Thanks a lot, Keer.

So, five things I miss from childhood:

1. I miss the feeling of permanence and security that people brought to my life. As a child, I never thought that I would outlive a beloved parent, or have to watch my grandparents age less than gracefully. I thought my parents were perfect (well, at least I thought my mom was perfect). I think having some of those bubbles popped were my roughest introductions to being a "grown up".

2. I miss the reckless abandon children embrace all of live with, maybe because they do feel so safe and secure. I want to feel awed beyond speech or movement at seeing a "really live Cinderella and Snow White", just like my brand new five-year-old did yesterday. I want every birthday to be the "best birthday ever", like it was for my eight year old, just because he had friends over to play and a triple chocolate cake with "Happy Birthday" written on it in Matoran (that's Bioncle code for those of you not fluent in elementary school boy-ease"). I want my day to be awesome, not because we spent a gazillion dollars on Disney tickets, but because my grandfather bought me Mickey Mouse Dove bars at 10:30 in the morning.

3. On that note, I really miss blissful ignorance of calories, fat, carbs, fiber, exercise, etc. I miss feeling really good about my body, or, between pregnancies and breastfeeding, feeling like my body was really mine!

4. I miss long, lazy summer days curled up with a basket of library books, some snacks and hours of doing nothing but reading (and not feeling guilty about all of the "should be doings" like laundry, grocery shopping, etc...).

5. I miss the safety of being able to screw up and make bad decisions with a minimum of consequences. No matter what, I always knew that Mom and Dad had my back, even when they were trying to teach me to make better choices.

Okay, so having processed all that, as much as I struggle with the reality of my own adulthood (most of the time I feel about twelve, not thirty-three). I really like my adulthood.

I came to Christ as a young adult....my security is eternal.

I have more friends than I ever did as a child or teen, and they are real, amazing , nurturing and loving people.

Every time I loose my grip on my sense of wonder or my body image, I get to watch (and experience) my four incredible children whom this (ahem) gently used body bore and nurtured. I get to hear and encourage the dreams of young people like my eldest nephew, who I am sure is on a fast track to rock and roll the field of Allied Health.

I have the protective covering of my husband (Happy, happy birthday, sweetheart!). He's pretty good at (by God's grace) protecting my from myself.

I wouldn't be a child again for anything. But I am more than willing (even delighted) to be forever child-like before my Heavenly Father.

Sometimes it is nice to play kid for a few hours, like today when my mother-in-law made us all lunch and did the clean up (hooray!).

Or right now...the baby is asleep and the "big" kids are out with their Dad.

I think I hear those snacks and library books calling my name....but as a grown up, I get to have Starbuck's with my Jane Austin.

  posted at 1:57 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 11:40 PM, Blogger razorbackmama said...

Bwahahahahahahahahaha

Now, don't you feel better? O:-)

Love ya, babe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
What does love taste like? Chocolate, I bet....
Homesick
A Sabbath Rest?
Not a "urchin-y" thing to be seen here! 
Hannah and her "Hip Mama" 
Hannah and Abby on recital night 
It takes a village...
June
I'm wishing....
It's always an adventure.... 

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: