Tuesday, February 13, 2007
It's been blessedly quiet here on the chemo ward. We've had some minor drama with fluid retention, nausea, and the need for another blood transfusion, but those all pale in light of the fact that I can think and type! I'm even able to do some crafting, which is a blessing for someone like me who hates idle hands.

As always, there is plenty of time to think and reflect. My oldest daughter and I were out on a "hot date" the other night (Starbucks and Target) when she asked me, "Mom, how do you do it all--take care of us, do the schooling, and do chemo??".

I thought for a moment and the answer came to me. "Grace". I told here that when she was a (fairly easy) baby, I felt overwhelmed with my day to day tasks of taking care of her. I can only imagine what I could accomplish now with only one baby in the house--but now I have Four Kid Grace and Sarcoma grace as well, so my perspective is vastly different.

I also told her that I don't do it all. The floors and the bathrooms take a backseat to schooling and a rest break for mom, and that's just how it is right now.

This brought me to why I'm so uncomfortable when I'm told by others that I'm a "supermom" or an "inspiration". I'm just doing my job. One of the things that I loved about the "Attitude" post was that it noted that everyone is fighting their own battles. You don't have to downplay yours just because mine looks a bit grimmer at the moment. Instead, we need to encourage one another...and I want to know what people I love are struggling with because then I can pray and encourage them as well.

Because His grace is always sufficient...for every battle we face, large or small.

  posted at 9:43 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 1:52 PM, Blogger Hiker Chick said...

Glad to hear you're thinking and typing! I'll call you later (if N ever finishes his schoolwork).

Still gaining and losing the same 1-2 lbs., and trying to get to goal weight. Sigh.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

You are right Heather! Perspective is good at times too. I know someone that thinks I'm "superwoman" because of the schedule I keep and the things I keep up with.... I'm with you... grace for each step of the way. And I just keep trying to be thankful that God is providing for us.

Still... I'm inspired by the faithfulness of others as I also seek to be faithful. I love you Heather. Thank you for sharing your journey so freely. Can't wait to see you!

Laurie

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Susan said...

Yes, Heather, His grace is sufficient for every battle. I'm always blown away because I know that while He's caring about a "big battle" like what you're going through...He still cares about things I would consider "little battles" in mine and other people's lives. He's a VERY BIG God and for that, I'm glad.

Happy Valentine's Day....

Blessings.

:-) Susan

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Men's Fellowship at (your former) church is working through Transforming Grace by Jerry Bridges. His whole premise is that most Christians "get it" that our salvation is not works-based, but is all about God's grace. However, we tend to live our lives AFTER salvation in a performance-based, works-based way; we don't really believe that God "deals with us day by day by His grace" (p. 44).

But your life - and mine, too, if I'm honest - is evidence that God does indeed "grace" us every day of our lives. . . whether with Four Kid grace or Sarcoma grace or any other type that he so lovingly provides.

Thanks for reminding us of what we all neeed to hear.

Love from Phoenix!

K & K

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather! Barb finally got this site to me yesterday. Everyone kept saying you had a blog but no one could remember the address.

Female's weren't the same without your energy this year. You are truly missed. It's been interesting to say the least......

I am grateful for your faith and this LDS girl is praying for you.
Veda :')

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Having a bad hair day?
The number of true friends I have been blessed wit...
Like people didn't know I was weird??
What was that? Ah yes, it goeth before a fall...
I'm a regular dynamo
More Slacking
As if I needed evidence that my heart was fickle...
Thursday Thirteen
The oddest thing about being in a cancer center is...
A long overdue update

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: