Tuesday, January 29, 2008
From Cynthia...a much needed reminder to myself today

One of the most helpful things I've read was the post about
what you did instead of worrying about the latest scan: work and pray. I would
like to know how or why you realized/decided that working and praying are the
best things to do in that situation. Also, tell us what you've learned about
trusting Him and praying when afraid.

Thanks for the question...and for reading .

This is particularly relevant to me today. My next scan is Thursday (along with a session of "Meet the New Oncologist"). I'm also in the process of revisiting a particularly sticky issue in a relationship with a beloved fellow believer. Naturally, I'm writing this in between sessions of scrubbing my house, which is conveniently filthy after a long weekend of neglect. Tomorrow is designated for baking...anyone want some whole wheat rolls or a pan of dark chocolate brownies?

So, how did I learn that working and praying are the best things to do in an awful situation? I'm not really sure. I do know that in the year before my diagnosis, I was able to do an intensive study of the book of Romans with my Community Bible Study class. The year before that, I had the opportunity to complete the Return to Jerusalem study. Both of these studies reinforced the concept of God's sovereignty in every situation. Everything within me resonates with the knowledge that NOTHING takes God by surprise. Rather, it was determined by Him from the beginning of time.

Over the last few years, this theology has become intensely personal; first as we struggled to conceive and maintain a pregnancy with our fourth child, then as we struggled through his ridiculously difficult first year, followed by our sojourn in Cancerland, and now a much-belated adjustment to our move to an area that, quite frankly, none of us is thrilled to be in. When I'm tempted to scream, cry, and throw a tantrum (something I've struggled with as recently as this morning), I force myself to remember that my circumstances haven't surprised God, nor have they knocked him off of the throne. Put in the proper Biblical perspective, in comparison to what awaits me (an eternity of worshipping at the throne of grace), ANY of my life's trials are truly light and momentary(2 Cor 4:17). Hallelujah!

I can't control my circumstances, but I have been given the grace, through Christ, to control my behavior. This is where I look at the Word and see that while I am commanded again and again to fear God (respect his awesome person and statutes), I am also commanded again and again to NOT BE AFRAID (anxious, overwhelmed by emotion). Philippians 4:6 commands, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."

The choice is clear. To succumb to anxiety for the future is to blatantly disobey God, to not cultivate that reverent fear for who He is. Praying is an outpouring of my desire to love and obey Him. Working, is the physical activity that calms my disobedient flesh and enables me to pray




  posted at 11:03 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

I am sorry for your struggles. I know God will get you through this. And, if it is any comfort, Mom and I love having you & David so close (and Grandma & Grandpa think it's great having Rachael, Joshua, Hannah, and Michael so close also)!

Love,

Dad

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Heather,
Thank you for sharing this. You are such an encouragement to me - I'm sorry I haven't let you know that more often.

I'm also sorry to hear that things are so hard there right now. I can so relate to being somewhere you don't really want to be. I'll be praying for you all.

Love,
Beck

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather,
I love that song. Reminds me of spiritual truth that can easily be forgotten in the haze of daily life.
Wish I could do more than just pray for you daily... {{hugs}}

Love you,
Laurie

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Hugs to you, Heather. Hope things went well today. You're in my prayers.

And even though we haven't seen much of each other...we ARE glad you're closer.

Hugs,

Susan

 
At 3:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come visit your blog often to see what you all are up to. Once again I am inspired and refreshed. Those are 2 of my favorite verses. I truly am sadden that while you were here in AZ I didn't spend more time with you. I think about you often, especially when I'm scrapbooking & when June rolls around :)!!!!

Aimee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
In Which I Blather on Endlessly in an Attempt to M...
Their Kind of People or Totally Geeking Out.
Week in review
Thursday Thirteen: Virtual Gifts Edition Gifts I...
Wordless Wednesday
I'm glad someone appreciates my talents
There's not many presents under the tree this year...
She got Bibbiti Bobbity Boo-ed!
Kitchen Elves
It's official...

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: