Thursday, June 19, 2008
Following the Rabbit Trails in my Brain...Top Chef Edition
Embarrassingly enough, one of the things my older kids and I love to do together is follow Bravo TV's reality competitions ("Top Chef" and "Project Runway"). Yes, the language has been the pits this season--it's given us some interesting opportunities to talk about how what we speak says about who we are. Moving on.

This season of TC had a definite villainess, one that probably generated more hate mail than any other season. Now, I'm guessing that this person doesn't have the most amiable personality as a rule, but let's face it, nasty characters make for good entertainment. Where would the fun be in rooting for the hero(ine) in everything from a Disney flick to a Jane Austin novel if we didn't have someone to boo as well?

Anyway, all of this got the kids and I talking. Yes, this person appeared at her absolute worst in the pressure cooker environment of the show. She yelled, she cursed, she scowled, postured, and spoke well before she thought. No wonder (according to her own reunion show testimony) people are glaring at her on the street! However, we really don't know this person. We haven't spent time with her. We just get the perspective of some editor whose job it is to maximize the entertainment drama of the show. (Note to Bravo producers: We really like the show without all the drama. Just focus on the creative process and the food, people. Seriously.)

Yes, I am getting somewhere in all of this.

First, I'm so glad that I'm not on reality TV. I have absolutely not a doubt that my worst moments could be edited together to make one heck of a villian.

Secondly, I need to live my life, or self-edit (turn that filter on!) so that I what I leave behind doesn't' need editing. As one pithy t-shirt I glanced at the Mouse House this week states: "Live your live so that the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral"!

Finally, it makes me sad that so many people see God through a heavily edited lens. We love to focus in on the character qualities that either please or displease us...wrath, justice, mercy, love,what have you. Just a reminder that to know God, I have to spend time with him--not just take what I hear (in sermons or in the context of popular culture) or see at face value.

  posted at 6:58 AM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

I could be edited into one doozy of a villain, too. Ugh. Great reminder to THINK about what I'm saying and doing and how I'm saying it! Excellent point about looking at God through an edited lens, too. I want to really know Him, not just what others say about Him.

 
At 11:31 PM, Blogger Coffee Snob said...

Unfortunately, we all tend to see what we want to see and ignore or disbelieve the rest.

May we all learn to be better self-editors so the preacher doesn't have to lie and so we don't embarass our Lord.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Weekend Wrapup and a Peek at our Crazy Summer
Isn't She Lovely? Eighth Grade Dance Pics
Gotcha!
Gratuitous Birthday Boy Photo Fest
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday
For My TQ, as she preparest to graduate Eighth Grade
It's nice to know the mortgage will be paid next m...
In Which My Own Words Come Back, Not so much to ha...
Want to know what to do for someone with cancer?

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: