Thursday, June 26, 2008
Solidarity
Today, when I made soup, I doubled the recipe.

My friend is expecting her fifth blessing in the early Spring, and the fatigue I see in her eyes, that certain greeness about the gills brought back memories of too short naps and of dashing about in search of a discreet place in which to toss my cookies. So I did the only thing I could think of to helpe her (of course, I prayed, too!). It was one tiny way of standing with her. I chopped,stirred, and thanked God that those long hard days of my pregnancies served to make me a more empathetic person.

Today, I sat a bit longer in the VBS room and nursed a really lousy cup of coffee.

A mom of many (six under ten years old) and a homeschooler had introduced herself to me. I remembered days of juggling laundry, lesson plans and diapers. So I did what I could. I sat and listened and reminded her of the fruit that her labors would produce in good time. We parted with a hug and with a smile. I sent up an arrow of thanks for the long days with my kiddos when I was sure that I just couldn't do this another day. Because the grace was there and now I could point back to it.

Today, I walked around the grocery store putting soup ingredients in my basket and soundlessly weeping.

One of my favorite bloggers announced on national radio that his own cancer monster had progressed to what medical professionals would delicately refer to as "end stage". I stood with all of us who scream "WHY?!?" at the gates of heaven. I pondered my own rude good health as of late, and how one scan could shatter that perception (it's happened before).

Tonight, I'll meet a long-time Internet sister for dinner. Together we'll share a bite to eat, maybe a frosty margarita, and some girly giggles. We'll celebrate my current health and rejoice over answered prayer (she was wearing her "Pray for Heather" bracelet when I nabbed her at the airport this afternoon). As a fellow believer, she'll stand with me. We'll know it's okay to doubt, to cry and to question, but ultimately we'll stand on the fact that we don't always get the "why" of our earthly situations, but we do get the promise that He stands with us through it all.

  posted at 5:30 PM  
  1 comments



1 Comments:
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

Such a vicious, aweful, horrible, nasty disease...it takes far too many victims!!

Screaming with you!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Time Vortex
It's Tough to be the Princess
Following the Rabbit Trails in my Brain...Top Chef...
Weekend Wrapup and a Peek at our Crazy Summer
Isn't She Lovely? Eighth Grade Dance Pics
Gotcha!
Gratuitous Birthday Boy Photo Fest
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday
For My TQ, as she preparest to graduate Eighth Grade

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: