Sunday, November 19, 2006
This weekend, in all truth the last one before the you-know-what hits the metaphorical fan, was rather soccer intensive. DD #1 had a double header, and DS #1 had a tournament with his select team (3 games) and an indoor match.

Both kids are defensive players, with my daughter primarily playing goaltender. It was while watching her work her tail off this weekend that I was hit with a word picture of the answer I want to give when asked the question “How do you feel about all of this?”—and I’ve been asked that question a lot lately.

When dd is in the goal box, her concentration (if she’s playing her “A” game!) is intense. She’s the only person on her team with the exception of the coach who has a clear view of the entire playing field. She’s concentration on getting her job done, no matter what it takes.

I, on the other hand, am sitting on the sidelines watching other kids fire balls at my child’s head, watching her frustrations, holding my breath as a kick narrowly misses her face, waiting in a rush of adrenaline to see if she’s going to shake off this hit, or if this time she’s seriously hurt. In a word, it’s painful. But it’s also wonderful to see her giving something she loves so much her all.

So, how does this relate to how I feel?

Sarcoma is my “box”…and I think I’d much rather be in the box having the balls hurled at my face than watching someone I love take the hits. I’m caught up in the process of getting my job done—not just the job of getting better, but the job of taking care of my family, of being a wife, a mother, a sister, a daughter, a friend. It’s so much easier to bet the one who has to experience this than to have to standby and watch.
That part of me that hurts the most is for my loved ones who have to watch this all happen and see them in pain.

I know that my “coach” (oh but He’s so much more than that lame sports metaphor!) sees the whole field of time and space…and that more than any coach, He is the Lover of My Soul. Because of that, I want to give this game MY all, for this time in my life to mean something more to all of the people whose lives touch mine.

  posted at 5:44 PM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather,

I spoke a great deal about you (and David) today at the two services I did at Mill Creek Baptist Church. (Rachel visited there with me a couple of summers ago when I was Pastor.)

I shared mostly the facts in the a.m. but much more personally in the p.m.

I told them how much it was hurting to watch my "red headed girl" -- my DIL and Son in such a situation. I told them that Mom or I would rather be doing this instead of you. I told them -- as Dad -- how proud I was of you both.

I had some cancer survivors there in the a.m. and a nurse in the p.m. who were quite touched. They are praying for you (as is Mill Creek and FBC Lake Placid -- visitors came from there today).

Dad feels so helpless. I wish I could do more. Yes, I can come to watch the kids (but your Mom is handling that). Yes, I can come later to help if your Mom can't. Yes, we can send some "assistance". But, Dad can't fix it! I am sorry. I wish I could.

We are praying for you.

We love you very much.

Dad (and Mom)

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger kt said...

Oh! YES! That makes SO much sense.

It IS so frustrating & heart breaking when you are the voyer in these situations & there is NOTHING you can do to 'make it better', 'change it' or 'make it go away'....it takes ALOT of FAITH, in these situations to sit back & truly let GOD have control.....& to be @ peace w/ that.

Big cyber hugs to you!!!!!

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger squirrelgirl said...

Heather, your perspective on things constantly amazes me. Your strength and courage are such an inspiration. I have been thinking of you this week, hoping everything went well on Monday and that you enjoy a wonderful holiday with your family before the mental, emotional and physical challenges of the next few weeks. You and your family will continue to be in my thoughts.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather,
Praying without ceasing for you.'
You are loved,
Laurie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Shock and Awe
Thanks to Susan, for the food for thought...
Thirteen things about my week:1. I finally got ho...
WW: Why won't Blue stand with his sibilings?
For Susan...I guess only the really cool people ge...
Call me stubborn...
On my heart
Thirteen Blessings that have come out of the last ...
Wordless Wednesday: Thank You, Laurie!
Since I'm stuck sitting on my tush...

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: