Saturday, June 02, 2007
My sister "in love" (like that one, Dad?), Susan, wrote about how our expectations shape our choices and reactions. She (and the other bloggers that she took inspiration from) did a great job of expressing thoughts that had often rattled around in my head as well. How often have I suffered from disappointment and even bitterness because a actual event failed to live up to the picture I had created in my head?

As I begin my s-l-o-w process of recovery from chemo and general getting on with my life (thus the appalling lack of posting), I realise that one of the gifts of my season with cancer is that by and large, I've been able to let go of how I think people "should" act, or how events "should" happen. The result? An increase in my ability to take joy in whatever comes...and I imagine I'm a more pleasant person to be around.

One of the outside (or internally created?) pressures that I've succumbed to in the past has been elaborate birthday parties for my children. I've specialty ordered ridiculously expensive coordinating decorations and paper ware--it takes really pretty pictures, but still ends up smeared with icing and ultimately in the trash. I've spent hours on elaborate cakes that are demolished in minutes, and too much money on "goodie bags" that are forgotten, or cast aside.

My son turned 10 on Memorial Day. We were in North Carolina with our friends Steve and Laurie, and celebrated with a barbecue in their backyard. The paper ware was from the Dollar General, the cupcakes I made with the help of my 6 year old, and Laurie's 4 year old. There wasn't a goodie bag in sight. We had a marvelous time--the birthday boy, a child who once announced in the middle of a party that he was going to take a nap (okay, he was three at the time)-- had a marvelous time as well. Our entire long weekend with them was infused with this joyous, laid-back casualness. We delighted in lingering over coffee, talking for hours, and helping putter around the house and yard.



Of course, this is NOT to say that I'm "cured" from the pressure of outside pressures and self-created expectation. We're in the process of wrestling through the best school choices for our children next year. I struggle with trusting God for our Phoenix house (aka the Albatross)to sell in His perfect timing. I'm guilty of being self-critical when I look at the boxes of pictures waiting to be hung in our new house, see my running shoes sitting forlornly in the corner of my closet, even when we continue to eat (gasp!) store-bought bread. I cringe with resentment at the newly-delivered box of medical supplies that means the home-health nurse will be coming soon to maintain my port and tire of trying to find headwear to match whatever outfit I choose to wear (especially while looking for a church).


But the joy comes in unimagined places. I mowed the lawn yesterday--there was a time when I barely had the strength to walk from my bedroom to the living room. I went on vacation with my family--not to the hospital without them. I had the blessing of baking my son's birthday treats. I'm growing my eyebrows and eyelashes back! (Ridiculous, but I really wasn't sure that was going to happen!).

I'm looking forward to our "lazy, crazy, hazy days of summer"...and trying not to "expect" anything but to be surprised by joy.



  posted at 7:40 AM  
  8 comments



8 Comments:
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Susan said...

Heather: Isn't it true that we all need to learn to "not sweat the small stuff"? It's hard, though. I'm glad that you all had a great weekend away. We continue to pray for all of you as you transition to Florida and "from" cancer.

If you get a chance, will you email me? Your new email is saved on the "old" computer in D's room and not on my laptop. I want to plan some time to come to Orlando.

Love and Blessings,

:-) Susan

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's my beautiful red head DIL with the big heart!

Oh yes, you popped-out some GREAT grandkids too!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger Mary Jo said...

yeah - setting our expectations too high can definitely cause un-needed stress.

Finding joy in the unimagined places is hat life is all about!

 
At 2:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We attended a nephew's high school graduation in Wisconsin last weekend, and they had the top 10 students (OK, technically it was 11 - there must have been a tie!) say a few words. They chose to coordinate their talks, presenting 11 "Life Lessons" that they learned while in high school. One of them (I think it was Lesson # 3) actually said "Don't sweat the small stuff." Another said something to the effect of "Remember to find joy wherever you go."

Wisdom from the mouths of babes (17 and 18-year-olds, actually)!

 
At 3:04 AM, Blogger kt said...

How fitting & timely since I am giving my stb 5yo dd a birthday TEA this weekend. & My friend & I were discussing the 'pressure' of mere children's b-day parties.

I'm trying to keep it simple...I'll blog afterwards how well I did. ;-)

 
At 3:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Don't sweat the petty stuff and
Don't pet the sweaty stuff!"

Good to hear of God's continued gracious work in your "heart, mind and body (strength)"!

Love in Christ,
bob carver
AKA Sir Robert of the Sonoran Wastelands

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

"Don't sweat the petty stuff, Don't pet the sweaty stuff!" I LOVE that!! I recently had an encounter with a staff member over that very thing. I was invited into a meeting and she wasn't....I had work to do (curriculum stuff) in this meeting and she didn't...but she ASSUMED that we were working on other things and got angry with me. I find myself, the older I get, laughing at the minor things that people choose to get worked up about. Maybe that's because I've watched my best friend go through cancer and I have learned that in the grand scheme of things those little petty things truly don't matter!!

Happy Birthday to our Joshua!! We love him very much (and still haven't gotten his present into the mail because I've been heavy lifting my classroom into another room and couldn't heavy lift myself to the postoffice!!!)

Hugs!!
Sally

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather--I am finally back to blogging too--and guess what??? I put up pictures from your visit with us. Of course... it did take my verbose self three different posts... but well... I think you'll enjoy the pictures :-)

Can't wait to see you in a few more weeks!!!

Love ya,
Laurie

http://fourbzboysmom.blogspot.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Warning: Shameless plug ahead!
My friend Jess, wrote me the sweetest letter today...
Baby Steps
Watch this space...
If you can't say something nice...
It is finished
Q: What's worse than round 5 of chemo?
Well, blogger just ate a long and reflective post....
A Guest Blog...With Some Editorial Comments
Wordless Wednesday

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: