Sunday, April 08, 2007
It is finished
I was released from my last day of chemotherapy on Good Friday. One of my favorite nurses, Janelle, was taking care of me that day. She is a believer, and her mother is a cancer survivor who now directs an oncology center in Chatanooga, TN.

She was telling me that her mother's center recently installed a large brass bell in the front lobby, and whenever someone finished with chemo, they got to ring the bell, both to declare their "graduation" and as an encouragment to others.

Wow, I thought, compared to that, walking out of Moffitt was kind of anti-climactic. (Although my kiddos and in-laws greeted me with beautiful banners and my sister sent gorgeous roses) And while I think I would like a celebration of some sort when I'm feeling better (there is definitely another transfusion in my very close future)--mostly to celebrate my amazing support team in "real time" and on the internet--I couldn't help thinking.

How typical of us as people for us to want us to recognize our suffering and struggles. And we ALL have suffering and struggles...maybe not cancer, but we all walk those paths. But to reflect on in on Good Friday, yes, I had been miserable, but not to the point of shedding blood. Yes, it was an awful round, but I was not alone; my Jesus suffered alone and he died for me and for the sin of the entirety of mankind who would by grace believe. I was happy to get out, but I did feel rather small and melancholy as I reflected on my Savior's death, as is more than appropriate for Good Friday.

Lord, let my life be the bell that rings not my own sufferings and joys, but simply the music and truth of who you are. Thank you for your choice to suffer for that which you did not deserve and that which I so highly did.

Labels: ,


  posted at 9:21 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Wow. Such a beautiful post, Heather. I'm praying for you!

 
At 8:54 AM, Blogger pig2let said...

I've tried to leave a message several times but the system wouldn't let me, so I am tryng again. I don't know if eventually they will all show up or not.
Anyway, I wanted to say I am so happy for you. I praise God for getting you through this time in your life. I think it is wonderful it all coincided with Good Friday and Easter Sunday. They both represent the new life we have in Him because of His resurrection. What a wonderful way to end this saga of chemo and all that goes with it. While you may need a transfusion soon, the chemo is over! Praise God! Praise God for your dh,kids, sisters, and mom. In my line of work, I have seen so many families not standing by each other during their walk through their cancer and treatment. Even the little kids are left to fight this alone at times. I praise God you had such a strong network to walk with you. You have fought a courageous fight and have shown others your love for our Lord and Saviour while you did it. I can only say I'm sure there will be many touched by your love for God during this. And that alone is a testimony to our wonderul Saviour. You continue to be in my prayers and thoughts. I love you dearly my friend. God Bless you and your whole family. Tell them all I love them. Love always TT

 
At 8:57 AM, Blogger pig2let said...

Oh I forgot to add you can find me here on this blog site as "Aunt Mommies thoughts. Love you bunches, TT

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather,
We continue to lift you up in prayer here. Looking forward to many celebrations of clean scans in the years to come.

Love you,
Laurie

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Mary Jo said...

Amen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Q: What's worse than round 5 of chemo?
Well, blogger just ate a long and reflective post....
A Guest Blog...With Some Editorial Comments
Wordless Wednesday
Ouch!
You like me, you really like me!
It's been blessedly quiet here on the chemo ward. ...
Having a bad hair day?
The number of true friends I have been blessed wit...
Like people didn't know I was weird??

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: