Friday, February 01, 2008
In other news...
I forgot to mention that my checkup was physically and emotionally exhausting, but completely sarcoma-free. My adventures for the day included:

--Getting caught in a huge traffic jam on the interstate. Trust me, as much as I've driven to Moffitt, I've got it timed to the minute, and my one hour, fifteen minute drive turned into a full two hour commute.

--Dashing upstairs to Radiology to get my contrast and go through the usual motions of being "polite but very firm" about getting my hep lock before I started drinking the (ugh) contrast laced Crystal Light. The IV only took two sticks--hooray, but they had to put in a smaller gauge needle than was desirable.

--The lab receptionist jumping up and hugging me when I was able to tell her, "No, Kathy, I DON'T have a port anymore."

--The man next to me in Radiology sharing (out of the blue) about his rare form of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He has been battling for 8 years and 5 rounds of chemo, and his remissions keep getting shorter. He was so sad and matter-of-fact when he told me "I think I'm on my way out. I don't really want the bone-marrow transplant they're pushing on me". I didn't have time to do more than listen to him before his name was called for his test. I'm praying that he just needed someone to listen to him, and that it brought him some comfort that day.

--The lab was late with my Creataine level, requiring the Radiolgy people needing more blood to do a rapid test before the CT. The lab came through at the same time as the rapid test--not that it mattered, as three of the CT machines (including the one I was scheduled for) went down with a computer virus at the same time. Back to the waiting room...

--The automatic voice in the CT machiene had been reprogrammed from my last scan. It is now a veddy veddy proper British man requesting that one "Take a deep inhale and hold your breath"...then commanding that "You may carry on breathing". Do you know how hard it is to hold your breath when you want to giggle?

--The CT snafu made me late to clinic. It was nice to see the MA and my favorite receptionist, Margie...both asked about the kids and complimented the slowly returning 'do. Margie made me promise to come back by and give her the scoop after the checkup.

--I saw the new oncologist about an hour and a half after my scheduled appoinment. This is not unusual. He's nice, but I miss Dr. D'A....we just have more history together, and she doesn't have a thick Italian accent to navigate. Emory is lucky to have her.

--I stopped in Plant City on the way home and grabbed a flat of strawberries. It was only after I had devoured a pint of them did I realize that I'd been fasting since 7 that morning and was really, really hungry. Next stop, some protein.

By the time I got home, I was ready for the couch and a hot bath. Hooray for a family content with leftovers for dinner.

I thought the emotional hangover was done. I dragged myself out of bed this morning and headed out to the mall to return some pants for my little guy. We walked around, grabbed a coffee, played in the play area, and then exchanged the pants. After all this was accomplished, we hit the family bathroom, where I glanced in the mirror and noticed that I'd been wearing my sunglasses. Indoors. All morning.

I wonder if people thought I was a celebrity mom gone slumming or just a really big dork.

At least I'm a cancer-free dork.

  posted at 4:06 PM  
  2 comments



2 Comments:
At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about a Cancer-free Celebrity Dork Mom? Hey, Capuccino girl...looking forward to seeing you in a few days!

 
At 8:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,
Thanking the Lord for your cancer-free report.
Wishing you a most wonderful trip. I know your Arizona friends are so excited to see you again.
Hugs,
Julie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Sweet Talking
From Cynthia...a much needed reminder to myself today
In Which I Blather on Endlessly in an Attempt to M...
Their Kind of People or Totally Geeking Out.
Week in review
Thursday Thirteen: Virtual Gifts Edition Gifts I...
Wordless Wednesday
I'm glad someone appreciates my talents
There's not many presents under the tree this year...
She got Bibbiti Bobbity Boo-ed!

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: