Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Four Years






Four years ago today, I couldn't sleep. I sat in my rocking chair listening to a rare Phoenix thunderstorm and contemplating the last hours that I would ever hold a babe inside of me. It had been a long road of attempting to get and stay pregnant. At 3:30 am, we headed to the hospital for labor augmentation. In the last moments of pushing, I remember putting my hands on my huge belly. "Are you saying goodbye?" my mother half laughed, half whispered.

"I think maybe I'm saying hello," I replied. And then he was here.









Three years ago, I was exhausted from round after round of speech, physical, oral motor, and occupational therapy visits and trips to doctors. I was lost and confused as a mommy and had started to blog to work through things in my head. I loved him but his infancy was one of the hardest things I had ever survived (so I thought at the time). Being a fourth time mother to this little person taught me more about living (and parenting) in grace and compassion than any book or conference could.





Two years ago today, I had two rounds of chemotherapy left to complete. I wasn't sure that this wasn't the last birthday I'd see him have. Taking care of an active toddler (note the fractured leg) while in such a physically depleted state would have been impossible alone. Two years ago,

he and his brother and sisters gave me a reason to get up every day. They forced me to learn to ask for help. As our family gathered around that day, I remember feeling so grateful that even if I wasn't around for his next birthday, there would be so many people to love him. I became a more thankful mommy that year.





One year ago today, I thought the hard times were behind us. I was wrong. Job loss and house flooding ensued, but this little one never missed a beat. Of all of us, he was ever ebullient, ever trusting , ever ready to hop up in my my lap and "snuddle". In his third year, he helped me learn to rejoice always. I'm a more joyful mommy because of him.




Today, he's a "live out loud" kid who's never met someone who is not his "friend". We'll take treats to his beloved preschool class and meet friends for his McParty. If I'm lucky, we'll lay down for nap together (he taught me how to do that as well!) We'll make his favorite mac'n'cheese for dinner, and my some miracle of logistics, will all be able to sit down and celebrate him for a little while this evening. Today, because of him, I'm a woman whose heart is full to overflowing and who has tears streaming down her face as she types.

Happy Birthday, Little Guy.

Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
children a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies
in the gate.
Psalm 127:3-5
(Inked in my Bible next to these verses is a note that this scripture was quoted in a note from our friend Bob on hearing the news that Little Guy had arrived).
Posted by Picasa

  posted at 6:37 AM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Michael! And happy giving birth-day, Heather!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Susan said...

This is beautiful for your sweet treasure!

:-) Susan

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet post! Love you guys and miss you... Happy Birthday Michael!!!

 
At 12:33 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

It's been a heckuva four years (well five really, have to count the pregnancy part!!) Love to all of you!! Happy Birthday Little Man!!

 
At 8:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David quoted that Scripture to me way before #4!!

As grandparents, we like full quivers. :)

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Happy belated birthday to your little guy! I wish we could have met him (and all your crew) while we were in FL. What a sweet post - counting your blessings 'out loud' is an encouragement to those of us who get to read!

 
At 2:27 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

what a great testimony of God's love. your post blessed my socks off.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Things to Smile about today
My Sister-In-Law's Recent Post...
Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was ...
My Boys are Growing Up!
It's that time again
A few Cancer Rants for a Rainy Monday
Evidently, you can go home again
Wordless Wednesday: Rock On!
This is a great idea! I always appreciate a good...
Happy New Year

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: