Friday, March 20, 2009
Just for the record, the only thing that I like about yard work is the fact that, unlike 99% of the things I do around the house, someone can't come along moments later and undo the fruits of my labor (think dirty laundry, eaten meals, mucked up bathrooms...).


When I set out to do the lawn (trimming, edging, mowing, tackling the hedges, sweeping--I'm nothing if not through) my intentions were (mostly) to quiet the nagging feeling that I'd soon be getting a nasty gram from my HOA, then to assure my husband some free time to finish his consulting job this weekend in between soccer matches, and finally because it was one of those perfect Florida days when it's a downright sin to stay inside, and after all, I didn't really have time to make it to the beach before I had to get the kids from school.


I was doing well until I got to the Beast.



The Beast is the hedge that our property "shares" with our next door neighbors. I say "shares" because it's mostly (all) ON their side. It's a HUGE box hedge and gets overgrown fairly quickly. Our neighbors are older (retired), and he's pretty frail and she's rather frugal, so they don't pay their lawn service the extra few hundred dollars it would take to maintain it. Historically, we've gone ahead and trimmed (hacked?) it down because it was the nice thing to do.


This day was no exception. I had a decent attitude until about 15 minutes in to the 2 hour job. Then my inner three year old kicked in.


I began to lecture the inner child, much like I would one of my own offspring.


This is the right thing to do. It's honoring of our elders. It's loving our neighbor. It's serving the Lord.


I pressed through the trimming and began the job of raking and gathering the huge piles of leaves.


Then I heard their garage door open. It was Bob, my frail, early dementia, mid stage Parkinson's neighbor. He was standing and watching me with tears glinting in his eyes.


"You", he stammered, "you're sick!" (He remembers when I moved here very clearly). "You shouldn't have to do this...you're doing my work!".

"It's okay, Bob, I don't mind. Besides, I'm not sick anymore, see?" I pulled off my baseball cap and ruffled my hair to offer proof of my wellness.


"I don't know why I don't do things like this anymore....Lazy, I guess."


Needless to say, I was humbled to the core.


"Bob, you're not lazy. I see you out and about all the time...where are you going now?"


His eyes lit up. "For subs....I'm going to buy you lunch!".


As I was finishing up, he returned.


"Is it right? I probably screwed it up. I screw up things all the time."


"No Bob, it's perfect."


And it was--not for my lunch, as I'm not a fan of mayo, olives, or white bread (but my boys loved it as an afternoon snack)--but as gentle reminder that even when I don't feel "properly appreciated", that God won't be outloved or outgiven.

  posted at 7:12 AM  
  5 comments



5 Comments:
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Mother Superior said...

Thanks. I needed this right now.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger squirrelgirl said...

That brought tears to my eyes.

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is one more reason why I love coming to your Blog. I seem to read just what I need to hear.

THANKS!!!!

 
At 3:51 AM, Blogger kt said...

How sweet you are!!! My grandma had Alzheimers w/ dementia...how nice of you to be so understanding!!

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dad is very proud of you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Because it's about time I updated...
Would you, could you be inspired?
There's a lesson in here somewhere
Lacrosse
Four Years
Things to Smile about today
My Sister-In-Law's Recent Post...
Welcome to Not Me! Monday! This blog carnival was ...
My Boys are Growing Up!
It's that time again

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: