Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Very early on on my mommy career, I remember seeing something scrapbookish trumpeting the sentiment that little boys are essentially "noises with dirt on them".

"Humph!" I muttered over my small, pink and ruffled, golden-haired bundle,"How sexist! There really can't be that much difference between boys and girls!" After all, I had been the oldest of three girls, and had very much enjoyed dirt and noise, camping and sports.

Little did I know that I would very soon have the chance to find out. Less than a year later, my husband would breathlessly announce to me, "We have a BOY!" And "boy", would my perspective change.

My boys both chose noises (cars "vrooming" and crashing) over actual words for their early vocabulary.

They never walked when they could bounce, stomp, jump, or crash (actually, they still rarely walk). Hugs often take on the form of tackles (especially if the hugs are directed at a brother).

They get dirty--track mud across the house, smell like puppies, leave thick grime ring in the tub dirty. My oldest son also seems to take pride in just how gross he can get--and after hearing my (high school senior)nephew boast about his post-soccer game "ripeness" last week, I'm not holding out for a change in this trend.

Clothing (or it's state if cleanliness/repair) is not a high priority for my guys--although I do see from my older nephew that this might change. A clerk in a clothing store once snootily pointed out to me that I had purchased three pair of identical denim shorts for my son. I told him that since shorts and t-shirts were basically the staple of said child's wardrobe at the time, this way I held out some faint hope that the shorts would occasionally land it the wash. I'll spare you the gory laundry tales from abandoned sports bags.

Now the mom of two girls and two boys, I'm using by blog to publicly repent of my young-mommy arrogance. As equitably as we try to raise them, boys and girls are different. It's not that my boys won't learn how to do housework (they are), or my girls won't be able to use power tools (they will); it's that they were assigned to grow up and perform complimentary roles. I've learned to delight in God's amazing design for my sons and my daughters--as individuals and as future men and women, husbands and wives, daddies and mommies.

While I love all of my children fiercely, madly, and protectively, my boys have a unique ability to stir in my heart the wildest, most primal tenderness. Perhaps because I know that someday, they'll belong to another woman (insert cheesy adage here: "A son's a son 'til he takes a wife..."or the very real Biblical call to leave and cleave). Perhaps it's because their displays of affection are quieter and more rare that that of their sisters (In fact, I think my 2 year old gave me an unsolicited kiss for the first time in his life yesterday). I don't know...but my time to ponder is pretty short right now.

I have a small, scrambled egg and yogurt coated someone standing next to me loudly quoting Elmo and demanding a diaper change and a cuddle.



P.S. Everyday Mommy is sponsoring a contest for a book I think one of my "noises with dirt on them" would like...today is the last day, so hurry up and get your entries in!

Hat tip to Rebekah for the heads up on the contest.

  posted at 8:16 AM  
  4 comments



4 Comments:
At 2:11 PM, Blogger Rebekah said...

Oh, you made me laugh right out loud!!! Yep, boys are definitely different, but aren't we glad they are! That whole "they'll belong to another woman some day" thing is one I hope I will be able to handle with as much love, kindness and grace as my own mother-in-law, because a part of me knows it probably won't be all that easy. I'm glad you participated in this one, too.

And I'm glad you're finding more time and energy to be blogging again some, also.

And now I've got to go "ooh" and "aah" over a Lincoln Log creation that one of my "noises with dirt on them" is calling me to.

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Susan said...

I agree they are different...but I can only base that on my observation of nieces and "other" girls.

I'm glad that M and his "ripe" self could be part of your reflections! Gotta love them.

Hugs.

:-) Susan

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather,
Feeling as emotional and sentimental as I am right now with the wedding coming up... I confess.... I laughed and cried a bit when I read this.

I SO get the fierce love part. I have really learned to delight in my boys. And from observing your two girls and Amy's three and my sister's daughters... I agree.... they are SO different.

I enjoyed the time with Amy's girls this weekend--thru today. I enjoyed shopping for them, painting toes and fingers a beautiful red, and brushing curls. But I confess.... I'm sure God knew just what He was doing when He gave me boys for now. I think He is giving me time to grow, mature and reflect before my sons marry and finally bring a daughter to our family. I'm learning to appreciate the little things, revel in relationship, and keep expectations for my own fulfillment where it belongs--with my Heavenly Father. Maybe... just maybe I'll be a good mother-in-law.

Can't wait to see you again soon!! Six weeks and counting (YIKES!).

Love,
Laurie

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

I predicted long ago that little M would definitely grow up to be a noise with dirt on it!! LOL!! He's proven me right time and again on that one!! I miss your little men (and ladies for that matter)...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
Trying to beat the Bloggity blahs
My sister "in love" (like that one, Dad?), Susan, ...
Warning: Shameless plug ahead!
My friend Jess, wrote me the sweetest letter today...
Baby Steps
Watch this space...
If you can't say something nice...
It is finished
Q: What's worse than round 5 of chemo?
Well, blogger just ate a long and reflective post....

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: