Thursday, September 13, 2007
Kind of like HGTV
Meredith lovingly reminded me that my last post was considered "cheating" as far as blogging goes. Maybe I'm just using up all of my creative energy at my sewing machine right now or breathing too many paint fumes, because I think of lots of things to blog--but not too many of them actually make the transition from brain wave to keystroke.

My eldest son's room has been the latest project--he picked a University of Florida theme as homage to his birthplace (Go Gators!). So far we've painted an orange and blue chair rail and I've sewn flanged pillow shams in a cool UF cotton print. (I was so impressed with myself--no pattern or anything). The cornice box is waiting on my faithful helper to build the frame, and as soon as we find a reasonably priced (used?) desk and chair, he'll be set.

My mom was down for a visit this weekend and she bought our eldest a new comforter set as an early birthday gift. This cascaded into a visit to JoAnn (for fabric and trim for the window treatment, not to mention some really cool clearance accessories), followed by a trip to Lowe's (for MORE paint--thank goodness her birthday isn't until October!) and an evening of sewing and trimming. We've also decided that while we want to Pergo her bedroom (the carpet is gross), the Phoenix housing market isn't cooperating, so we're going to get crazy and paint the concrete as a temporary fix. Hmm...I'm wondering how our marriage is going to handle that little project.

The Princess is loving her new bedroom and today I am refinishing a chair for her desk. Sanding it down was a study in archeology.

Base level--Scandinavian blond oak chair with rattan caned seat. Circa 1978?? (My parents were actually still married to each other at the time, so it's OLD).

Second level--Blond oak chair with peach/cream ticking striped seat covers. Circa 1992. I recovered them to use in our first apartment.

Third level--Firehouse red painted chair with white flowered seat cover. I refinished it for the desk in my daughter's shared bedroom about the time the Princess was born (2000).

Fourth level--Purple painted chair with jewel toned butterfly seat cover. We refinished it as part of an "extreme bedroom makeover" birthday gift for our eldest's 10th birthday.

The chair's newest incarnation is watermelon pink with a turquoise/pink/yellow flowered cover

New incarnation: Same desk, same chair, new look. Watermelon pink with turquoise/pink/yellow flowered seat cover.

(Do you think we've gotten our money's worth out of the chair?).

  posted at 3:26 PM  
  3 comments



3 Comments:
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Sallie said...

Those are the best pieces.. pieces that are so sturdy they just need a new coat of paint and they are brand new again. We have dressars like that for our kids. I'm thinking a black coat of paint with some red racing stripes might look cool if we did a car themed room...

God bless,
Sallie

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

PICTURES!! We MUST have pictures!! I am off this weekend to Prescott for a weekend of scrapping...it just isn't the same without you!! I will miss you my friend...I will drink a Wallebedarned at Outback in your honor!!

 
At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear DIL,

Mom and I just saw a show on HGTV where they pulled up the carpet and put polyurethane on the concrete and used area rugs. (In a very exclusive hotel retreat in Hawaii.)

It was the final for Design Star and and it was Vern Yip's idea to do that!

Love,

Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
A big "Thank You"...
Monday, Monday...OR Swiping Susan's Weekend Window...
Cute but not too bright...
Moving on and settling in
Thursday Thirteen
Putting one foot in front of the other
They've been married a WEEK!
Despite the unsold house, petty theft, potty train...
An Open Letter
Beautiful

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: