Sunday, July 01, 2007
In which the sins of my past catch up with me...
We moved around quite a bit while I was growing up. Each time we moved, we would tease my mother mercilessly for toting with us the Jenny Lind crib that had housed my two younger sisters (I was born during the student years and slept in a port-a-crib). I'm not sure what move inspired her to get rid of it, but I know she didn't let go of it for at least another decade.

We decided that our crib need to go on Friday after dh found our monkey, er, youngest son balanced precariously on the the top rail, singing at the top of his lungs. As Providence would have it, that night I went to visit a friend who just happened to have a sweet toddler bed sitting in her living room waiting for a new home. We negotiated a price (dinner at Tijuana Flats and I'd throw in her stamp club fee) and I tossed it into the van.

Saturday morning the crib came down and the "big boy bed" went up, complete with Elmo bedding selected by the monkey himself. (Aside: what is it about fourth children? I hate branded nurseries/rooms and would have never allowed this with the other kids...).

I cried. Mostly because every other time we put the crib away, it was to wait for someone else to sleep in it. I cried because it had held all my babies, and putting it away signaled the end of a season of our lives, and because I really don't see myself crying over the end of diapers!

We talked about donating to Goodwill (there was a load from the garage going that day anyway) or to the Crisis Pregnancy center.

In the end I called my mom and apologized for teasing her all those years ago.

She laughed...and told us we could store the crib at her house until we were ready to let go it.

  posted at 1:36 PM  
  7 comments



7 Comments:
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Susan said...

LOL...I am there for you! I had a terrible time getting rid of A's bed. But, alas, it went. And life went on. And you're right, those 4th-borns make us do all the "Well-I'd-NEVER's" from the first three! :-)

He looks so peaceful in the picture. And who wouldn't when a cute little critter like Elmo is sleeping with you????

Hugs!!

:-) Susan

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Justabeachkat said...

Heather

Very sweet post and the picture is just darling! It's hard to see them grow up.

I'm new to your blog so I spent some time tonight reading through alot of it. As a cancer survivor myself, I applaud you for your upfront and upbead attitude.

Hugs!
Kat

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Sally Datria said...

We got off lucky because Lisa desperately needed a crib for Kira so we gave it up willingly...now a year and a half later, Kira is ready for a big bed and I was able to tell her to just pass the crib along to someone who needed it. It was only about a month ago that I finally tossed our decrepit stroller, baby dish, and (sniff, sniff) our boppy pillow...she's only five, you still have time!! LOL!!

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger ♥Jessie♥ said...

I had the HARDEST time getting rid of my last child's crib.

At least she's going to let you store it there :-).

 
At 9:18 PM, Blogger Hiker Chick said...

We still have Noah's crib, and plan to save it for HIS kids someday (assuming he gets married - today he asked me, "Does everyone HAVE to get married?").

And maybe I'll have a baby to put in it still; God knows I want one!

Now that Michael is in FL, I still have Reese W. and Clara W. to snuggle.

Wendi

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Amy Wallace said...

Thank you for making me feel normal! I had SUCH a hard time putting the crib away now that my "baby" is in a big girl bed. It's the first time in over 10 years we've not had a crib and it was much harder than I thought. But our princess is in a truly princess room now and is loving it.

I'm keeping the crib for a while though...

 
At 3:42 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Heather,
I remember the day I cried when I packed up Brad's crib. Now I'm contemplating him leaving us and cleaving to a new wife. I didn't get it all those years ago when the grandmas in my church exhorted me to enjoy the little moments because they pass so quickly. I get it now.
And by the way... Derek is the FIRST one of our boys to have a "character" quilt--and his is Thomas the Train :-)
Hope you're sitting down when you read this--because in honor of letting go of the little things, I'm going to let Trevor put up a Star Wars border in his "new" room when Brad moves out.
Your weepy friend,
Laurie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



About Me

Name:
Heather


I'm a work in progress, a stay at home mom of four, a beloved daughter of the King.

My Complete Profile


Blogroll
Susan
Sally
Rebekah
Laurie
Amy W
Amy R
Julie D
Carla
Kirstin
Niki
Mary
Katy
Mike
Heather
Arizona Christian Worldview Institute
Every Square Inch Blog
My Publisher!
My Book!!

Recent Entries
You like me, you really like me!
I'm cheating this week. In honor of fifteen years ...
Happy Anniversary
My friend and old roomie can testify to the fact t...
Happy First Day of Summer!
You know it's summer when...
Very early on on my mommy career, I remember seein...
Trying to beat the Bloggity blahs
My sister "in love" (like that one, Dad?), Susan, ...
Warning: Shameless plug ahead!

Archives
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009

Credits
Blog Design by:


Image from:
istockphoto

Powered by: